Weight Loss Tips
1. Prior to going out to eat, whether it is a restaurant, a birthday party, or some other place where you know there will be some temptations, have a protein smoothie. They not only taste great, but they'll also keep you feeling fuller longer. Thus you won't be inclined to want as much food
2. Create a mantra: "Nothing after 9." It means no meals or unhealthy food after 9 p.m. Plan your last meal or snack at a time when your body will utilize it before you go to sleep.
3. Anywhere you go, park on the complete other side of the parking lot. It's a quick power walk. And if you're carrying something back, then all the better! Unless it's a box of doughnuts.
4. Have a cheat day. Usually Friday is the best, because it's been a long week and everyone needs a break. Don't over-indulge, just eat something you usually wouldn't eat during the week. Just remind yourself how hard you have worked all week, or in many cases, how hard you have worked in the previous weeks/months/years so don't go on a full-out bender!
5. Think of your metabolism as a fire, and if you continually add a little bit of fuel to it, it'll keep burning stronger than if you throw a large amount on a smoldering flame. Likewise, after exercising, the fire will be roaring and burn up what is thrown on it faster, especially after an interval-style resistance circuit routine!
6. Work out after work on Friday before you go out on the town. You'll think twice about eating and drinking everything in sight Friday evening.
7. Always take the stairs. How many times are you in the mall or at work and there escalators there? What about airports and their moving platforms? I get a kick out of people who stand on an escalator or moving walkway and just stand there! Get moving, any chance you get to burn a few extra calories, do it! Take the damn stairs...
8. Flavor food with spices instead of high calorie sauces.
9. Tell everyone you know about your weight loss goal. It'll motivate you to work toward your prized weight. Better yet, make a bet with someone to see who will lose more weight over a set period of time. It will keep you accountable and make it a competition!
10. Get a partner. As you motivate your partner to reach his/her prime weight, your partner will motivate you as well. Spouses are great for this, as research shows that those who exercise together have better sex together as well!
11. Post a picture of what you used to look like on your bathroom mirror, so that you see it first thing in the morning. You can also use your fridge, car dash, front door, etc. Any place that you will look at every day that will motivate you to hit the gym.
12. Don't just drink a glass of water before going to a party, drink a glass before every meal. Research shows that drinking a cold glass of water before a meal not only helps to fill you up, but kick-starts your metabolism as well.
13. Keep a personal stash of healthy, but tasty treats at your desk/workspace. When you get those mid-afternoon cravings for a snack, you will be more likely to reach for something you already have with you than to head to the vending machine.
14. If you don't keep any junk in the house, you won't crave it as much. Trust me on this one, the longer you go (weeks/months) without a certain junk food, the less and less you crave it.
People go on and off crash diets and exercise programs all the time. The problem many people face is they make a lot of big changes in a small amount of time which makes them burn out and lose interest. The better approach is to start small and take baby steps. You have spent the last (insert amount of time since last day of healthy lifestyle) so why do you think you are going to become instantly healthy over night?