Tyler Robbins Fitness

Tyler Robbins has his B.Sc. in Biochemistry: Pre-Medical, is a Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist (CSCS) through the National Strength and Conditioning Association (NSCA), is certified through USA Weightlifting, and a CrossFit Level 2 Trainer.

Day 136 - Tough Mudder Tactics: Trench Warfare


Put your claustrophobia and fear of the dark aside, because it's time for Trench Warfare!

This military-style obstacle requires Mudders to crawl through narrow, dark, muddy trenches. Watch out for rocks, obstructions, and the occasional splash of muddy water from the Mudder crawling ahead. We advise all Mudders to move quickly through this obstacle to reduce the risk of contracting gangrene or trench foot. These trenches will test the stamina and mental grit of all Mudders, especially those who fear dark, confined spaces.

The Trench Warfare at Tough Mudder Toronto was dry. I am not sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing. Good because you don't have to crawl through mud. Bad because my knees got pretty scraped during this crawl. I will admit that I am a tiny bit claustrophobic, so when I reached the start of these tunnels and looked inside, only to see nothing but black, it stopped me in my tracks for a few seconds. But, that is the whole point of doing an event like this, you put your fears aside and just go for it!

I am 5'11" tall, around 175lbs, and I found the tunnels to be pretty cramped. I would say I was able to crawl on my hands and knees for 80% of the tunnel, then the other 20% was an army crawl. For those guys/girls out there who are larger than me, this may be a tight fit.

Similar to Kiss of Mud, you are going to want to work on your plank work so that you can move quite well while being close to the ground. Other than that, there is not a whole lot to this obstacle, just dive in and enjoy!

Quote of the day:
“By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail.”
- Benjamin Franklin