BCAA's - Save Your Money...
Branched Chain Amino Acids. You're a fool if you don't supplement with them, right? Well, not so fast there bro!
We've all heard either the local muscle head at the gym, the sales team at the supplement store, or those "experts" online claiming that BCAA's are crucial to your success. Well, the fine folks over at SuppVersity have done another fine job about breaking down how "effective" this supplement actually is.
I won't re-hash what SuppVersity has already done so well, so make sure to head over there and read the report yourself.
I always like to give my body the benefit of the doubt. I try and get virtually all of my calories from solid, real foods, and then use supplements as just that - supplementing my diet to fill in any holes that I may have missed along the way.
I commonly see people touting the benefits of this supplement or that supplement. BCAA's are no different. Everyone suddenly becomes an "expert" as to what brand to take and how effective it has been. Whether you agree with me or not, here is the list of supplements that I personally take and wish to invest my money on, based on the evidence and research that I have read. Yes, this list is every supplement that I take. Beyond that, I aim for as well-rounded diet as I can possibly get. Then, my supplements patch any holes on a day to day basis.
- Shakeology - This acts as my insurance policy. Some days I nail my diet, some days I do not. But, the days that I too busy to get my regular meals, or am missing something from my servings, my Shakeology is there to back me up.
- Vitamin D 1000IU - I only take this during the fall and winter months since living in Southern Ontario means a drastic decrease in my sun exposure.
- Whey Protein - Nothing fancy. Just plain and simple whey. Sometimes I mix with water, sometimes I mix with milk. Yes, I drink milk.
- Fish Oil - The benefits here are too good to pass up.
- Creatine Monohydrate - I don't take it all the time, but often enough. Also nothing fancy here. There is absolutely no proof that any brand or "form factor" works any better than monohydrate. Save your money, don't listen to the guy at GNC.